Slider

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Letters to our daughters


I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful group of photographers and their project in documenting their journey as mothers. Please continue the circle by heading over to the fabulous Ashley Spaulding, you can read her letter here.



 “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined.” –Henry David Thoreau


Claire, 

You are my whirlwind, my little tornado, so full of mischievousness yet sweet as can be.  I hope you embrace everything about you, your sweet little angel kiss birthmark on your eye, your crazy and wild head of curls and know that you are perfect just the way you are. 

A couple weeks ago, I heard a speaker talking about dreams.  She went on to tell a story of how her little one had auditioned for a part in a play where the spaces were limited.  She went on to tell him that if he didn't get the part that was ok, there weren't many to get.  He responded by simply asking her, why she was discouraging him.  As a mother, I knew she was only trying to protect him and she stated that, that was simply what she was in fact doing, but here is the part that stuck with me; she then went on to say that she realized in that moment that it wasn't her job to protect him from heartache. She was there to lift and love and encourage him to dream.  That was one of those moments, that stopped me in my tracks and made me re-evaluate the kind of mother I wanted to be. 

I hope that I can teach you to believe in your dreams, to believe in things bigger then yourself and bigger then what you can see right in front of you. I hope that you embrace HOPE and you never forget how to dream and I promise you, I will stand by you and encourage you and support you.  Dream big little one :)

Love, mommy




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Stephanie! Love that pop of red!!

Joy said...

Awww I love her darling curls! She is adorable. I really enjoyed that story as well! Something we all need a reminder of sometimes.

Dani said...

Beautiful post Stephanie! I love how both of us were thinking about our girlies and their dreams. <3 (and I love seeing mountains in your pics!)

Dani said...

Beautiful post Stephanie! I love how we both focused on our little girlies and their dreams this month. (and yay for another photographer with mountains in their backdrops! :) )

Crystal said...

I absolutely love these portraits - those curls!! And, your words truly resonated with me. Often when we try to protect our children we can actually be discouraging them. That is a message that I needed to hear and to remember. Thank you for sharing.

Skip & Angela said...

Aw, a little teary eyed. She is so sweet, I love the pictures and your sweet 'mama's heart' letter to her.